When you think about PR, you probably think about things like print and broadcast media, social media, press releases, and speaking engagements.
All of these are great ways to manage your business’s reputation from a traditional PR perspective. But what about the other ways in which you can manage your reputation online?
Digital PR (or digital public relations) focuses on how you present your business and manage its reputation online.
There are loads of benefits to digital PR. Some of the things it can help with include:
- Expanding your digital footprint
- Improving your brand’s credibility online
- Positioning your business as an authority within the industry
- Building brand awareness within your target audience
- Creating a successful brand image
- Developing a consistent brand voice
- Increasing clicks, leads, and sales
It can also go a long way in improving your SEO. If you’re new to SEO, you can find out more through our full rundown of how SEO can help your business. To provide you with a quick crash course though, SEO stands for search engine optimisation. SEO techniques may be used to get your website ranking higher in Google searches for keywords and search terms relevant to your business, products and services.
Essentially, every time that you use search engines, the order of results will be determined based on a series of algorithms. These algorithms will index and rank web pages based on their quality and relevance.
Obviously, as a business, you will want your website to show up as one of the first results. One of the ways in which you can achieve this is by using digital PR tactics.
From an SEO perspective, digital PR can help you to achieve four main things:
- Improving your search engine ranking for key terms
- Building your backlink profile with high authority sites
- Increasing your digital authority
- Boosting your visibility online
When it comes to digital PR, there is a range of different activities that you might choose to undertake as part of your marketing strategy. If you’re wanting to focus on improving your search engine ranking though, some of the main ones include:
- Building relationships with bloggers, influencers, digital journalists, and high authority websites in your niche
- Publishing high-quality, high-value, relevant content (e.g. blog posts) that will get people talking
- Creating and distributing press releases to get mentioned in online media outlets
- Investigating brand mentioning opportunities
- Using link building tactics to help you earn backlinks and referral traffic
- Monitoring what others in your industry are doing with their digital PR campaigns
- Increasing your reach and engagement on social media
- Other SEO strategies (such as keyword research and content marketing)
There is no one size fits all strategy when it comes to building a digital PR strategy to improve your SEO. Your ideal digital PR strategy will be determined based on a number of factors. These include what your business does, what kind of products or services you offer, what demographic you are wanting to target, and your business goals.
It will also be influenced by your website’s current SEO ranking, and your current Google Analytics metrics. These will provide you with a better idea of your current position.
For digital PR to be effective, it needs to be bespoke and tailored to the needs of you and your business.
At Tomedia, we specialise in custom digital PR and marketing plans to suit the needs of our clients and their businesses. Find out how our digital marketers can help you to create the ideal digital PR strategy for your business here.