What is copywriting and why is it important?
Copywriting is the process of creating written content, usually for business and marketing purposes.
Generally speaking, copywriting for businesses has two primary purposes: to inform people about what your business does and why you’re the best at what you do, and to convince people to use your product or service.
What are the advantages of hiring a copywriter over doing it myself?
One of the most common questions we get asked by business owners is, “why do I need to hire a copywriter for writing copy when I can do it myself?”
The answer is that anyone can write, but the ability to write good copy is a skill – and one that many professional copywriters spend years practicing and honing.
By hiring a professional to take care of the copywriting side of things, you’ll receive high-quality, engaging copy that connects with and speaks to your target audience, and sells your product or service.
There are a number of other advantages to hiring a copywriter, including that they:
- Can offer a fresh pair of eyes and new take on your approach to content marketing
- Are experts in what makes customers tick, and as an extension of this, how to appeal to them through your copy
- Can help you to develop a unique brand voice that is consistent, packed with personality, and stands out from your competitors
- Can optimise your content for different platforms (good copy for social media will look different to good email or website copy, for example)
- Can help to eliminate spelling mistakes, poor grammar, and typos in your copy, all of which can make your business come across as unprofessional
- Will save you time, allowing you and your other staff members to focus on your own workloads knowing your copy is in safe hands
Some companies will choose to hire their own full time in-house copywriters to handle all of their written content creation. However, if you are on a budget and do not have the capacity to take on someone full time, there are two main alternatives.
The first is to engage a professional freelance copywriter. This is often a cost-effective option for businesses who are on a budget, and only require copywriting for one or two projects. However, finding a freelance copywriter who is highly skilled and experienced in the type of content writing you require can be a time-consuming process.
The second option is to outsource your copywriting work to an agency like Tomedia. The advantage of going the agency route is that agencies have often spent a lot of time building relationships with professional copywriters, and will be able to connect you with someone whose writing style and skillset is the perfect fit for your project.
What copywriting services do you offer?
At Tomedia, we have your copywriting needs covered. Our experienced copywriters and content creators are ready to assist you with any and all of your business’s copywriting needs, including:
- Website copy (including SEO copywriting)
- Blog posts and articles
- Press releases
- eBooks, magazines, and other publications
- Social media captions
- Newsletters and EDMs
- Product descriptions and packaging
- Sales letters, brochures, and other marketing collateral
- Fact sheets, case studies, and reports
- Speeches and presentations
- Grant applications and award submissions
- Staff profiles and biographies
- Job advertisements and position descriptions
- Internal and external correspondence (e.g. emails, letters, and memos)
- Education and training materials
- Premade customer service templates (e.g. chatbot scripts and stock emails)
- Policies and procedures
- … and much more
What does the copywriting process look like?
Good copy is the cornerstone to any business’s content marketing strategy. If you want your business to succeed, your copy is one of the things that you cannot afford to be skimping on.
At Tomedia, our copywriters will work with you every step of the way to take the hard work out of the copywriting process. Here’s what the process might look like:
1. Initial brief
At our initial meeting with you, we will start by asking you to tell us a bit about your business in a general sense.
For example, what does your business do? What are your products and services? Who is your target audience? What are your business goals for the short and long term?
Also, what are your goals for the copy – for example, are you wanting to reach new markets, increase your sales, or convert one-off customers to loyal repeat clients?
We may also ask you to provide us with some examples of your current copy, so that we can get a better idea of where your brand voice and content marketing strategy is at present.
We’ll then go away and do some of our own research. We will look at who the leaders are in your industry, who your direct competitors are, and what each one is doing with their copywriting.
This will help us to find out more about what “good copywriting” looks like for your industry, what your competitors are doing, and how you can make your copy stand out.
Depending on the type of copy you need, as well as whether we are going to be creating your copy from scratch or reworking what you already have, we may also need to interview you or your other employees again to gather more information.
3. Initial draft
Once we have a good idea of what you are looking for, we’ll start putting together an initial draft.
We’ll then present our initial draft to you, and you will have the opportunity to provide your feedback. For example:
- What do you like about our initial draft?
- Is there anything you don’t like?
- What would you like changed for the final version?
5. Subsequent drafts
We will then go back and make any required revisions. We are happy to go back and forth with you as many times as necessary to ensure you are 100% satisfied with your final copy.
We will then provide you with the final version of your copy. This may be supplied as a Word document, PDF, Google Doc, or other type of file, depending on your needs.